LOSN Sustainability Insider October 2020
Transit oriented developments which link affordable housing to transit, e.g. SW Corridor Max (see below) and bringing the tree code into the development code. There is the Willamette Shore Trolley and the Willamette Water Passage.
1. [Level of threat from wildfires and Climate Change] I do not view wildfires as an existential threat. I definitely do view climate change as an emergency.
2. [Priorities, Plan Sufficiency & Policies] Working with regional partners to get transit and preserving big trees for a number of things, including carbon storage. Not at all. Seems entirely too centered on incentivizing, with an over emphasis on electric cars which is part of but not the whole solution. Transit oriented developments which link affordable housing to transit, e.g. SW Corridor Max (see below) and bringing the tree code into the development code.
3. [Further ideas for the City (or in tandem with County/Metro)] There is the Willamette Shore Trolley and the Willamette Water Passage.
1. A very significant tear down fee of presently affordable housing to discourage this trend. The fee would go to maintaining and constructing affordable housing, and not to parks maintenance.
2. Much more active pursuit of the precursors to obtaining our share of the Metro bond money, e.g. change of zoning.
3. A construction excise tax to raise revenue for affordable housing. Sustainability Vision: The biggest task is making it possible for people to be mobile without being in a single occupant car. This means participating in the regional task of producing transit. I endorsed Measure 26-218 and am in the voters’ pamphlet as a Clackamas county leader. Through real coordination we could have a transit-oriented development on Boones Ferry which could provide 30 units of affordable housing, easy access to “resource rich” schools, services and groceries, employment at the SW Employment Area, and Tri-Met “last mile” service to the terminus of the SW Corridor Max.
Posted on 17 Oct 2020, 11:42 - Category: Articles